Wings of darkness
I'll spare you the Joseph Conrad cliches about the past week in Congo (mostly because I haven't read the book -- I know, I know, but it's on my list). Let's just say our luck went from bad to worse, then finally started to tick upward by midweek. Most of the hassles have stemmed from traveling on United Nations flights, which are the only real way to get around Congo, a country that they say is the size of Western (read "old") Europe. These flights are free and relatively convenient, but as they say, you get what you pay for.
Flying with the UN as a journalist means you are the last-priority passenger (apparently, peacekeepers trying to secure the end of a war that has killed at least 3 million people get first dibs). Some of the planes are Russian-made Antonovs that look as if they should be behind glass at the Moscow air and space museum. At the airport I was left to guess what time the flight would leave. They sometimes cancel or postpone these flights without telling anyone. Today, for example, I asked five different uniformed airport personnel what time my flight to Bunia would be, and I got five different answers: "1 pm," "1:30 pm," "3:30 pm," "3 to 4 pm," and my personal favorite, "What is Bunia?"
I'll post again over the weekend with some pictures.
Flying with the UN as a journalist means you are the last-priority passenger (apparently, peacekeepers trying to secure the end of a war that has killed at least 3 million people get first dibs). Some of the planes are Russian-made Antonovs that look as if they should be behind glass at the Moscow air and space museum. At the airport I was left to guess what time the flight would leave. They sometimes cancel or postpone these flights without telling anyone. Today, for example, I asked five different uniformed airport personnel what time my flight to Bunia would be, and I got five different answers: "1 pm," "1:30 pm," "3:30 pm," "3 to 4 pm," and my personal favorite, "What is Bunia?"
I'll post again over the weekend with some pictures.
Labels: Travels


4 Comments:
At 5:58 AM, December 02, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Do they provide parachutes? Maybe and inflight MRE? If they do provide any of these amenities its more than you get on American Airlines. Consider yourself lucky. We are looking forward to the pictures.
At 7:59 AM, December 02, 2005,
terence said…
how many frequent flier miles do you have?? and don't bother with heart of darkness...i've tried reading like 18 times. always get like a quarter of the way through then throw it down.
At 8:18 AM, December 08, 2005,
Anonymous said…
god you are hardcore, i had no idea. did the congolese laugh at your pitiful kenyan swahili? make you listen to any of their horrible music (you're lucky channel o has improved so much in recent years)? by the way, heart of darkness is much more interesting if you realize that a lot of it literally happened and don't read it like an allegory on madness or whatever bullshit your high school english teacher told you. if you don't believe me, read king leopold's ghost too, i promise you'll want to kill yourself based on what you learn rather than the writing.
At 2:28 PM, December 17, 2005,
Anonymous said…
I'm with Terence. Heart of Darkness is worthless (sorry to those who think otherwise). "The horror, the horror" refers to trying to actually finish the thing!
Post a Comment
<< Home